Indian Rice (Pulao)
Nanditha Krishnan | October 22, 2021
Light and flavorful, Indian Pulao is a fluffy rice dish packed with fresh spices and vegetables. This one-pot recipe is one of the most common vegetarian dishes found in India and is very easy to make.
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ inch of ginger, chopped
- 2 green chili, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 potato, sliced
- 1 cup of frozen peas, carrots, corn (combined total)
- 1 cup of long grained rice
- Salt to taste
- Spices (Fresh): 2 bay leaves, 2 cloves, 1 small stick of cinnamon (If you don’t have fresh spices, ½ teaspoon of all spice powder or Indian Garam Masala powder will work!)
How to get started:
1. In a cooking pot, add oil and sauté fresh spices (if you are using them), garlic, ginger, chilis, and onions.
2. When the onions turn golden in color, add rice, potatoes, and other veggies. Sauté this mixture together.
3. Add 2 cups of water, and spice powder (if not using fresh spices) and close the lid.
4. Cook on a low flame until the rice is soft but not sticky.
5. Mix the rice thoroughly and serve hot!
Let us know how your Pulao turns out in the comments section below!